Saturday, December 10, 2016

Interview with Robert J. Fluegel, author of Secret of the Master



Robert J. Fluegel, whose new release Secret of the Master was featured here on December 6th, has kindly agreed to answer our ever-changing interview questions.


Do you use Scrivener or Word? Or another word-processing program? Or even pen and paper? 
I am a Word user.  I have an IT background and would be comfortable on pretty much any platform, but I use Word because I have a lot of down time at the office to write and that’s what we use there.

Do you have any pets? Do they influence your writing?  
I did have a dog but it was at a crazy time in my life when we had 5 kids under the age of 5 so adding in not only a dog, but a rambunctious little puppy to the mix seemed fun in concept.  In reality it was really hard and we weren’t able to devote the time necessary to our little puppy.  Maybe when the kids are all grown up we’ll try again.

Would you rather see your stories on the big screen or the little screen?  
I think my stories adapt well to the big screen.  In fact, many of my readers have told me they would love to see the movie version.  They’ve even begun casting parts for my characters.  

Are you hooked on any of the shows on the sci-fi channel? If so, which ones? 
Not really a sci-fi channel enthusiast.  I did watch Supernatural a bit and enjoyed it.

What films are you watching now?  
I really do like the Marvel movies.   I am getting bored of the typical action movies I used to watch though.  They are so formulaic I can pretty much predict the outcome 5 minutes in.  
What is your favorite Science Fiction (or Fantasy) film? 
My favorite film is Return of the King.  The charge of the Rohirrim down the fields of Pelennor still gives me chills every time I watch it.  Peter Jackson took many liberties through the first three films I wasn’t thrilled with but Return of the King was nearly perfect.  Funny enough and I know you didn’t ask but my least favorite movie of all time is The Hobbit.  Jackson took my favorite book and mangled it beyond comprehension.  I can forgive a lot, but I’ll never forgive that.
Do you have any views on Game of Thrones
I’ve watched it but I know it’s almost sacrilege to admit I didn’t enjoy it and quit.  Is the interview over now?  Have I been kicked from the club?  Where did everybody go?
How did you come to like the Fantasy genre? 
I got my hands on The Hobbit and nothing has ever been the same.  I suppose, like my main character Tommy, I wanted to jump into a book.  I wanted to live in Middle Earth and go on the quest to the Lonely Mountain.  After reading the rest of the series I was hooked on fantasy forever.  Most of the time I was just trying to recapture the feeling of reading Tolkien.  
Are you a Luddite? Or do you prefer to be on the bleeding edge of technology? 
Simple answer is yes.  I like technology and all its comforts.  I like writing in that environment.  I also like the thought of me at an old wooden desk in the forest with nothing but a lantern to read by.  
Are you--or have you ever been--a gamer? 
Yes I have played Borderlands, Call of Duty, Left for Dead and Counter Strike.  I tried Warcraft and luckily got out before it got addicting.  If not I may not be here today.  
Do you cook? What is your best/favorite/most popular recipe? 
I make all my meals from scratch.  I love the low carb lifestyle.  My favorite recipe is low carb pizza with a cheese and almond crust.  
Do you have a garden? Have you ever grown your own food? 
I live in the desert so gardening is limited here but I do have some tomato and pepper plants.
Would you choose tea, coffee, or something different? 
Hot chocolate all the way.  
Would you prefer an independent bookshop, or a big chain? 
Indy book shops are the way to go.  I love being able to talk to the owner right behind the counter.
Do you have your own office, study or writing space, or can you write in a cafe or the library?  
I have an office both at work and at home where I can write in peace.  Writing in crowded places could provide a different kind of muse I suppose, but so far I’ve never made the attempt.
Who do you consider are your major influences in writing?  
Tolkien, Jordan, Brandon Sanderson and my kids are my major influences. My kids first and foremost though.  We discuss what they read and what they like, we brainstorm ideas, they are my greatest advantage as a writer.
If you were marooned on a desert island and could take just seven books, what would you choose? 
The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Harry Potter Deathly Hallows part 2, The Bible and War and Peace (haven’t read it, but I might need toilet paper) 
What writer, living or dead, would you most like to meet? 
John the Revelator, He saw some crazy stuff and I would love to hear it in his own words.
if you could have any director to shoot the film of your books, who would you choose? 
Probably Chris Columbus because I really appreciated how true to Harry Potter books 1 and 2 he kept it. 
How would you define Speculative Fiction?  
I view Speculative Fiction as asking the question what if.  For example: What if you were pulled into the last book you read and you are the main character but not with their history, their talents, their abilities but your own?  The Master of Books series is one way of answering that question.



About Robert Fluegel:




Robert J. Fluegel is an American author, father of 8 wonderful girls and 1 very special little boy. This is the second in his popular World of Books series with many more expected. He will keep writing until the world ends or death takes him, whichever comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment