Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Mutation Z: Closing the Borders (Mutation Z, Book 2) by Marilyn Peake

Release date: September 8, 2015
Subgenre: Post-apocalyptic

About Mutation Z: Closing the Borders

 

Eviscerated bodies are found along both sides of the U.S.-Mexico border. Military security is stepped up on both sides of the border. However, journalists are given free rein to explore the devastation. As more and more bodies are found, people begin to panic. Meanwhile in The Liberia Treatment and Research Camp of West Africa, Emma Johnson and Chibueze Koroma continue to receive experimental doses of Mutation Z. They also begin to remember the horrific things they’ve done. As journalist Hunter Morgan’s investigation leads him to that same Camp, his own little girl falls sick with fever.

MUTATION Z: CLOSING THE BORDERS is the second book in the MUTATION Z series, following MUTATION Z: THE EBOLA ZOMBIES. In the next book, MUTATION Z: PROTECTING OUR OWN, guerrilla warfare breaks out between armed militias and those perceived as protecting the zombies.

Excerpt:

 

I headed toward the U.S.-Mexico border to investigate what might be happening on the other side, try to get a jump on any potentially related story over there.  Palm trees stood like scarecrows along the sides of the road, dark hulks whispering in the stark light of a nearly full moon.

As I entered the section of lanes on the Anzalduas International Bridge that funneled into the inspection booths for Customs and Border Protection, I realized things had been ramped up far beyond normal border security.  It looked like a war zone.  Helicopters and drones flew overhead.  Like the wings of monstrous bats, helicopter blades slashed through the night, displacing air, creating sound wave pulses that kept everyone below on edge.  Intermittently, a drone passed overhead—taking video with its cold blank eyes, I supposed, seeing everything and never blinking.  Military SWAT teams patrolled the area on foot and in a variety of special operations vehicles.  Mine-Resistant Ambush-Protected armored vehicles sat along both sides of the road, waiting.

Soldiers on foot were dressed in full riot gear, armed to the teeth with assault and sniper rifles.  Black-eyed insects, a few watched the traffic through goggles.

The sun had begun crawling up into the sky, painting bloodred smears across the billowing clouds.  The moon was little more than a pale ghost now.

The lines of civilian vehicles weren’t long.  I drove up to a booth, expecting to be ordered back into the States.  I flashed my journalist credentials and my passport.  A woman with wide brown eyes waved me through to the next set of inspection booths leading directly into Mexico.

One thing was clear: the authorities wanted every grisly detail of the eviscerated bodies story spread to the general public.  They wanted the average citizen to be hiding in their house, peering out through trembling curtains, willing to do whatever the authorities recommended.

Driving up to the next set of inspection booths, the ones controlled by the Mexican authorities, I noticed the same type of policing as on the U.S. side.  Here, too, the same heavily-armored U.S. military presence patrolled, working side by side with the Mexican Army.

But again, despite the serious military presence, I was waved straight through to the other side.

I drove into Reynosa, Mexico as the early light of day began to infiltrate the landscape, making it easier to see the world around me.

Both U.S. and Mexican military patrolled the sides of the road.  I could also see uniformed persons moving throughout the desert that extended back from the road.

Driving a couple more miles, I decided to act on the hunch that once I flashed my journalist credentials, I’d be allowed to proceed wherever I wanted to go.

The instant I pulled over, a SWAT team surrounded me, assault weapons trained on my car windows, focused on me from every angle.

Instinctually, I put my hands up.  A police officer in military gear shouted at me to open the door.  As I complied with directions, he aimed his weapon directly at my head.

 

Amazon

 

About Marilyn Peake: 

 

Marilyn Peake is the author of both novels and short stories.  Her publications have received excellent reviews.  Marilyn’s one of the contributing authors in Book: The Sequel, published by The Perseus Books Group, with one of her entries included in serialization at The Daily Beast.  In addition, Marilyn has served as Editor of a number of anthologies.  Her short stories have been published in seven anthologies and on the literary blog, Glass Cases.
AWARDS: Silver Award, two Honorable Mentions and eight Finalist placements in the ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards, two Winner and two Finalist placements in the EPPIE Awards, Winner of the Dream Realm Awards, and a Finalist placement in the 2015 National Indie Excellence Book Awards.

Website | Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment