Saturday, February 14, 2015

Mission: Attack on Europe by V.A. Jeffrey

Release date: January 29, 2015
Subgenre: Science fiction, space opera

About Mission: Attack on Europa

 

The affair on Langrenus now settled, Bob plans to return home. But an urgent cry for help from an old friend interrupts his homecoming. The Big Boss sends him a fleet of newly built fighter ships, seemingly just in time for this new and unexpected mission. Bob brings along a new ally, enlisting him in his growing little band of U-net agents. The new guy is James Jenkins, a.k.a Diamond Dog, a young, hot-shot pilot with smuggling connections and as soon as they set foot on Mars trouble blows up in their faces.

A new city is being built and there will be a final gathering of the Allied Martian Powers. They’ve been planning their long-awaited and perilous mission – to destroy the loyalist alien military base on Europa. Bob and Diamond bring along much needed help to the cause, more than willing to rally to the side of the Alliance of Martian Powers but Bob finds that things are changing faster than he can keep up with and his experience in Langrenus haunts him in more ways than one. On Mars, alliances between humans and aliens are complex, tenuous things and Bob finds that even relationships with one’s allies can be uneasy.

This is book 3 of the Mission series, following Flight to Mars and Lights of Langrenus

Excerpt:


Gotcha.” I turned on a flashlight, it's light a bright arc, sweeping over the top to the bottom and then I glanced under each of the ships in the train. Will was still at my rear. I bent down to look under one of the ships. A flash of faint blue light flickered across the sky. The aurora was winding across it like a serpent. I turned back and glanced over at the mountainous rock dwellings. They sat like ominous faded shadows against the night sky. That odd feeling again washed over me. I suddenly looked around.
What is it?” Asked Will.
I don't know but I think it's best if we get back to the Phoenix until Genevieve gets here,” I said. Will just cocked his head to the side as if he didn't understand. I turned and saw in the light of the flickering auroras what looked like tall shadows approaching. I put my hand to my weapon, glancing at the boarding ramp and made to guide Will back to the Phoenix. Suddenly, I heard whispering voices. I turned around again to see several humanoid people approaching. A couple of them were human. It sounded like one of them was speaking in Hanga. Finally, the man switched to English.
Nice ships you got here,” he sneered.
I like the look of these ships too,” said another, a Suwudi.
I think you'd better leave,” I said slowly. I felt adrenaline release through my body, rushing through every cell. The hairs on my body stood on end and I became very still. My fingers flickered over my laser dragon. I silently primed my gun for fire.
Don't move, scum, unless you feel like being blasted into a million tiny pieces,” said the first one. “I can see your hand moving. Don't do it.”
What do you want,” I asked quietly.
What else? You got some mighty fine ships there. We could use them. We want them.”
You can't have them.”
You know we're gonna take them, don't you?” Taunted the first man. The lights in their helmets nearly made them look ghoulish. I couldn't tell if they were another team of sentinels, though I quickly doubted that thought, adventurers or smugglers. Or pirates. I had no idea what they were. Whatever they once were, now they were common thieves. It was the first time I'd encountered this and I could have kicked myself for bringing Diamond into a mess that I hadn't anticipated. I tried to calm the situation by slowly putting my hands in the air but as soon as I opened my mouth to speak again they went for their weapons. In a split second the air was crackling with lasgun fire.
 

Amazon | Kobo | Apple | Smashwords | Epistle Publishing

 

About V.A. Jeffrey:

Victoria A. Jeffrey grew up in Portland, Oregon, attended Portland Community College and studied graphic design. She is an author and an avid reader of science fiction, fantasy. She also enjoys reading historical fiction and non-fiction. She has written four collections of poetry and some short stories. She is a content developer for the Middle-Earth Network, the author of the Red World myth-fantasy trilogy. She has two upcoming series for this year, the Mission space opera series and a steampunk science fiction series.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment